An Argument I got into that made me think

Aye, same here. (From my article about “Attraction” on ‘Medium’.)

1 Like

Well, I guess that as things in reality works in a unique and logical way, many minds even independently thinking about one same phenomenon will probably end with the same conclusion about it.

1 Like

“Multiple Discovery”

(Though this infers “at the same time”)

Yes, I did a quick read there, and it is exactly what I was talking about. So, ironically XD even the explanation of why is so common for me to be aware that “someone thought about that before me” is already an example of it.

1 Like

Opponent:
When you see an advertisement for a McDonald’s burger or something, it’s [sic] whole purpose is to make you go “Ohh I want to eat that…” so you’re more likely to go out and eat it.
That phrasing I cited right there is precisely what they want you to think because that’s typically how advertising persuades people to buy or do things.

I’m 40 years old. I play violent video games all the time, read books by people like the marquis de sade, comics that depict some pretty nasty shit (including the current topic), and I watch movies about girls being decapitated. On a daily basis, and have been doing so since I was 13. You should see my apartment, horror posters and crap everywhere. Doesn’t mean I want to live out any of these fantasies. I’ve never seen the inside of a jail cell. Some people are entertained and intrigued by things they can’t do, whether it’s friday the 13th or a comic book. Why do you think 50 shades of grey sold so many copies to bored housewives and romance novel aficionados? It was a book about s&m, rape, stalking, the list goes on. I’d wager a dollar they don’t want to hang out in a dark alley for somebody to attack them. It’s just a book.

3 Likes

To add to that

" When you see an advertisement for a McDonald’s burger or something, it’s [sic] whole purpose is to make you go “Ohh I want to eat that…” so you’re more likely to go out and eat it."

Advertisement’s are promoting a product or a service, not an idea.

A commercial for the Whopper isn’t promoting the idea of a burger, it’s promoting the Whopper.

A trailer for the movie “Dune” isn’t promoting the idea of movies, it’s promoting the movie “Dune”.

The proselytizing of an idea is called propaganda, not advertisement. Loli/Shota is simply media, if the opposition wants to suggest that it is more specifically “propoganda” and ought to be treated accordingly , then the onus is on them to make that argument