Certain types of sex education might be illegal

@terminus Lawyer person, u live in CA, answer.

Needless to say, I don’t really see the obsession with sex education. I prefer to tell kids to avoid sexual activity. period. And preserve their innocence. But CA school district disagrees with me.

Anyways,
The reason why I am making this thread is because sex education in schools may involve letting minors either in middle or highschool know masturbation is not something to be ashamed of. My question is if a teacher telling students this in a sex ed class is illegal, if they are aware that this knowledge may lead to minors to masturbate more would fall under the definition of “defendant willfully causing a child to touch his/her own body”.

The defendant willfully caused a child to touch (his/her) own
body, the defendant’s body, or the body of someone else, either on
the bare skin or through the clothing;

What happened to politeness?

2 Likes

Many people on twitter are furious at your organization. I am a member of the general public, I have an absolute right to demand answers and to get them answered promptly.

And I have the right to suspend you for being unnecessarily combative, which is against our forum rules. Bye!

4 Likes

Pretty sure this was another account of “gift for all”

2 Likes

Ah. Anyway, if he hadn’t been such a jerk about it, I would have answered him happily. It is, indeed, a concern that the California Penal Code seems to allow for sex educators to be criminalized for teaching students about masturbation. I’ve read through the law twice, and honestly the only thing that could prevent this crime from being committed by a teacher is that they probably wouldn’t have the intention of “arousing, appealing to, or gratifying the lust, passions, or sexual desires” of their students. Although… maybe they would? Masturbation is indeed meant to appeal to sexual desires… so even though a teacher probably wouldn’t ever be prosecuted under it, this law seems worryingly overbroad to me.

3 Likes

There’s a difference between an adult teacher telling a minor student that it’s okay for them to explore their own bodies during a time of sexual development through masturbation or safe sexual practices and telling said minors to sexually pleasure themselves for someone else’s gratification.

I don’t think that nuance is lost among Californians. Maybe Texans, but you never know.

3 Likes

Abso-blumin-lutely. And I also think any person with half a brain cell knows that when teachers tell kids this, they’re not expecting an immediate demonstration, but that the child be in the privacy of their bedroom taking reasonable care not to be observed or interrupted.

1 Like

It’s an improvement over telling children it will grow hair on their palms or make them go blind. :rofl:

1 Like

But what steps are they taking to make sure kids who have never masturbated do not know about it? It seems they are just lumping all kids into one room to talk about these things. What if parents don’t want their kids to know about it? And the the law may not even allow them to let kids know masturbation is a thing, depending on how case law is interpreted.

Case law for Nevada and Idaho says there is no requirement that the kid demonstrates in front of the offender. And they have a law that is basically identical to this CA one. So it’s not a guarantee teachers are in the clear technically. It’s the fact that prosecutors generally use discretion is what saves them.

Yeah, cause possibly violating pc 288a is better than a white lie. You nutter.

If kids haven’t already figured it out by the time they receive sex education, which is pretty unlikely, they’ll figure out pretty soon anyway one way or another. There is no need “to make sure kids who have never masturbated do not know about it?” because there is nothing wrong with kids knowing about it and doing it.

There’s a difference between “this is what it is and it’s perfectly natural” and “go home and masturbate”.

Telling kids the truth and giving them appropriate education about their body and sexuality is better than betraying their trust and lying to them yes.

Don’t use laws as a guide for morality.

1 Like

If kids haven’t already figured it out by the time they receive sex education, which is pretty unlikely, they’ll figure out pretty soon anyway one way or another. There is no need “to make sure kids who have never masturbated do not know about it?” because there is nothing wrong with kids knowing about it and doing it.

Average age in which a person starts fapping is around 14-16 years old, idiot.

Don’t use laws as a guide for morality.

Imagine typing this with a straight face.

LMAO, in what universe?!

4 Likes

How the fuck do I know? All I know is that I was beaten with a wooden rod 20-40 times if I were ever caught masturbating. Hurt like hell. I assume it’s when parents are no longer able to have such control over the child’s life. That typically happens at 14. Furthermore, there are studies which prove average age of masterbation STARTS AT 14. There are outliers such as with very permissive parents, or people who arn’t interested in sex may wait till well over 18. But 14 is the average.

Ah, conservative parents. There we go. And for any parents who think that corporal punishment is the way to go for discipline. Consider how the main villain of the first Space Jam was defeated. That’s going to be you, when your children get bigger.