How pedophilia not a disorder?

I’ve really understood it, how is it not?

A disorder is something that makes you suffer. You can however be a Pedophile and enjoy life. All the stress and self-deprication comes from societys disapproval. This is also why pedophiles are more likely to actually suffer from mental disorders like depression etc., because of the fear of someone finding out and hating yourself for what you are. Once you understand that you will always have this attraction and agree to never act on it then I think people with pedophilia will live a normal life. Studies already agree on this. Pedophilia is just a sexual interest and that’s it.

Despite common misperceptions, pedophilia is neither a necessary nor sufficient precondition for sexual offending against children [5]. In fact, an unknown, but most likely substantial number of people with a sexual preference for children never commit sexual offenses [6], and an estimated 40–60 percent of sexual offences against children are not committed by people with paedophilic interests

Is homosexuality a mental disorder? This question was asked years ago and you can apply the same logic to it. Does it bring humanity forward in a biological way? No, because it serves no purpose in keeping humans alive by producing offspring. That however does not make it a disorder. Just another sexuality which of course causes no harm when acted on - unlike paedophilia.

6 Likes

Because the DSM-5 says it isn’t. Pedophilia is classified as a paraphilia, and there’s a difference between paraphilias and their respective pathological counterparts.

Pedophilia is not a causal factor for CSA. It is merely an interest. There has to be underlying pathology involved to justify marking it as a unique condition.

It’s perfectly safe for someone with pedophilic sexual interests to indulge in sexual preoccupation, so long as the methods of doing so do not involve real children. The act of doing so is not causally linked to subsequent CSA offenses.
The act of doing so may even serve as a protective measure against CSA, as seen with population data studies as well as data on risk assessment profiles with incarcerated CP, CSA, and mixed offenders along with studies on non-offenders and their levels of sexual preoccupation.

5 Likes

I posted about this previously.

2 Likes

So then, it’s a fetish?

It’s a sexual orientation.

5 Likes

Gee, a post by ‘red troll’ asking a triggerpoint question in a child protection forum suggesting that anyone with some attraction they never chose has something wrong with them. I am going to go out on a limb here and say the questions are not genuine. Anyone with half a brain can figure out that attraction, by itself, does not mean something is ‘wrong’ with someone because it is not a choice.
Yawn.

2 Likes

He’s not a troll he just asks questions here regularly.

4 Likes

@Freyr is correct. I had the same skepticism when he first posted.

5 Likes

Fetishes are attractions to objects or nongenital body parts.

2 Likes