Mind and Health

Learn mindfulness and meditation.

Avoid foods which mess with the chemical balance of your body (soy).

Consume foods which stabilize the chemical balance of your body (green tea or cocoa, although that latter may act as an aphrodisiac, be prepared).

Eat eggs and vegetables.

Ventilate your home to reduce carbon dioxide.

Exercise outside every day.

Avoid sitting down for extended periods of time.

Interact with other human beings. Humans are social animals. Play a game?

Avoid shampoos which contain parabens.

Rinse your mouth thoroughly after cleaning your mouth.

Consider buying a cat or a dog to keep you company.

Use a water filter.

Go to sleep at night. Keep a regular sleep cycle.

Caffeine may cause or exacerbate anxiety.

This is good for most humans. I might update this list.

1 Like

Words to live by, my friend.

1 Like

In regards to mindfulness based therapies like ACT:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212144720301940?via%3Dihub Open access
https://twitter.com/CraigHarper19/status/1312830461316599808
Equal to TAU (TAU is treatment-as-usual, so something like taking an anti-depressant) for depression, otherwise superior to CBT. in many categories It is one paper. ACT can be combined with CBT, or medication, although I like to think of medication as a last resort which is best avoided. This excludes other therapies which may be done in combination like DBT.

I would like to see more research and criteria in an individualised study, rather than a review of meta-analyses, but it is what it is. Research in this area is picking up.

https://psyarxiv.com/b36a8/ This has a hint towards ACT briefly, although it is mostly a prevention paper.

It is actually really popular. Some people make fun of it for being meditation garbage, Buddist, or self-help book garbage, but people say it is effective, and a good way to quell anxiety. Don’t diss on it without trying it. Some people with certain conditions have difficulties doing the exercises, so it may not be for everyone. At this point, anything is worth a try.

CBT focuses a lot more on trying to change your thoughts, while this focuses more on accepting thoughts as they come. In the long run, it might have a similar effect. You let the mind sort itself out, rather than thinking you know better. Words to live by. It also improves psychological flexibility.

ACT is one way of applying mindfulness therapeutically, with some conjoining parts.

Imagine a therapy that makes no attempt to reduce symptoms, but gets symptom reduction as a by-product. A therapy firmly based in the tradition of empirical science, yet has a major emphasis on values, forgiveness, acceptance, compassion, living in the present moment, and accessing a transcendent sense of self. A therapy so hard to classify that it has been described as an “existential humanistic cognitive behavioral therapy.”

I’d personally say it is particularly good for anxiety and dealing with those cycles of thoughts or thoughts which get stuck in your head. It helps to take a step back from your situation and think about what’s going on too. If you have a rich diet, you’ll have an easier time with any well-being exercise.

To make @terminus happy, I’ll say it reduces offending risk, which it probably does, but it isn’t something I think of that much. It makes it easier to think rationally and self-evaluate, which is also why I can track self-awareness clearly when my chemical levels are destabilized. Other people might think of thoughts as something you’re wholly one with and a train to follow where ever it might go.