My stance on Child Marriage

So the term ‘‘Child Marriage’’ is often used to refer to arranged marriages between children and adults and sometimes children and children. It is widely viewed as an extreme abuse of human rights.

I do agree that the act of forcing children to marry other children or older adults is inherently immoral but I do believe that children can consent to marrying other children just as I believe that children are more capable of romantic and sexual actions and pretty much anything then we give them credit for.

In 2016, a 14-year-old couple was consensually married in an act of true love in Yunnan, China. After an article was published about it, reactions from western readers were very negative, to say the least.

The general complaints focused around the concept that neither 14 year old was capable of consenting to marriage because neither of them was ‘‘mature enough’’ to understand what love is.

Others cited China’s ‘‘problematic communist economy’’, poor education or fascist political system on the cause of their marriage.

Respectfully, I will call bullshit on that.

The fact that both of these teenagers were consensually married implies that both of them were capable of consenting to marriage, teens know what love is, they know what marriage is and if you take away all the unnecessary religious and ceremonial stuff from marriage, all you get is a legal agreement. In reality, marriage is an outdated concept. A very close unmarried couple can do pretty much anything that a married couple can except receive tax benefits and those aren’t even a universal standard.

Overall I believe that children are more than capable of consenting to marriage and rather than pushing to stop child marriage. We should push to stop arranged marriages involving children.

I agree wholeheartedly, sir. Children can be some of the most affectionate people in the world, so why not allow them to explore their feelings (as long has it is consensual, responsible and honest)? Arranged marriages can go, but intricate and intimate child relationships not only help with emotional development, but with responsibility, maturity, and outside knowledge on the world itself. It might actually work, as opposed to lifeless, parasitic relationships that devolve into indecency.

I sincerely do believe that we give teenagers too little credit for what they are truly capable of and it really baffles me. For the vast majority of history, children were simply minature adults and teens where conquering chunks of the earth.

People often state that ‘‘at that time, we didn’t have a clear understanding of mental development’’ but that shouldn’t matter. The point is, that teens can do almost anything an adult can.

It is quite trifling for some adults to undermine and underestimate children and adolescents because of their age. If school shootings are anything to go by, adolescents are capable of much more than we like to think. Neglecting, ignoring, or instilling hostility on younger individuals who have yet to craft their unique psychology is a fool’s errand, though it might not always be intentional. Granted, it should be noted that you must understand yourself before you can understand others, and thinking that age elicits maturity, respect, authority, and prestige is foolhardy.

It’s even dumber when adults attempt to act like they are inherently superior to teenagers. It is claimed that ‘‘teenagers are too emotional and think with their hormones’’.

In the past 2,000 years. We have experienced 3,400 wars. 90% of the wars were started by adults over territorial disputes. Our current selection of world leaders should also prove that adults are not inherently superior to children.

Being a good judge of character requires self-awareness and versatility; this is true of anyone regardless of age. However, many adults seem to think that negligence and ignorance are viable solutions for societal improvement, which truly couldn’t be further from the truth. If you spent your days criticizing rather than critiquing, being a major influence in one’s developmental years, wouldn’t it be fair to say that your poorer judgements will contradict and compound that of your child’s, and without proper analysis, become a problem itself? If we want to look for the solutions to our current problems, the first step would be to question ourselves as opposed to others; designating a given enemy(I.E. Millenials), only creates more strife as opposed to actually adressing it.

My issue with this is that it’s a binding contract. We set the age for those things at 18 because it’s an age where we can somewhat reliably ensure that you’re able enough to understand what that entails. You can point to all the examples you want of adults being stupid, but maturity and decision making capabilities tend to correlate with age.
I’ll agree with you that it’s flippant to just declare that teenagers don’t know what love is, but I simply think it’s the wrong argument to make. We need these limits to protect vulnerable populations, and yes, in cases where they’re going to grow out of the population in just a few years, it’s totally acceptable that we protect them from entering into serious legally binding contracts, even if of their own accord. Keep in mind they’re (in the vast, vast majority of cases) still dependent at these ages, and therefore it’s quite possible that their consent to such a thing could be coerced.

You seem to have ignored certain points of my post.

Maturity and decision making is based on experience, knowledge and upbringing not age and once more Marriage is not really as important as we make it. It’s an outdated and over-inflated concept.

And they shouldn’t have to be dependent, we need to give teenagers more freedom.

Maturity and decision making are also difficult to objectively quantify on an individual basis, and very difficult to reliably test. We don’t have a reliable means to determine if a particular teenager or child is mature or self-aware enough. We do know when they usually lack these these things and how much they do.

We don’t need to create a test, we just need to extend the benefit of the doubt.

Teenagers once had a great deal of freedom and did just as much as any adult, then we decided that teens couldn’t think for themselves and we needed to control them.

There are some problematic factors, for instance, splitting assets upon divorce so that one side doesn’t end up falling from relatively good living conditions to absolutely awful ones. This is a factor in adult marriage.

teenagers need an environment where they can make most mistakes without severe consequences, and marrying the wrong person can be very costly. This is something adults get wrong all the time, and often find their lives ruined as a result.

Everyone is ignoring my statement on marriage. Divorce doesn’t need to be problematic, we just make it problematic to reinforce marriage.