Neural Link? Speaking with neural scientist friends says it can be used as a punishment

I’m thinking of this really cool idea of using this technology to correct antisocial attitudes of offenders. We can correct their brains with it. Kinda like in the movies where they can turn some of the most vicious and predatory criminals into normal people. I think we should be open about this.

But it shouldn’t be used for trivial offenses, even for some serious offenses, such a sentence could be too harsh. Having your mind altered without your consent is objectively a very harsh punishment, so it should only be used for maybe the most serious felonies? Probably will need safeguards against misuse. Like you can only alter things directly related to their crime or criminal behavior in general. Anti social behaviors, being a transphobe, being a misogynist, having pro-contact attitudes IMO are examples of thoughts we should fix in bad people.

I asked a few other scientists but they were a bit skeptical. But I want to know the ethical side of this.

@terminus @Meagan Leaders, what do you think.

1 Like

Ya think?!? :astonished: What fantasy world do you live in? Of course, it will be misused and abused.

No, maybe no one likes bigots, transphobes, misogynists, homophobes, pro-c, but they are as entitled to their thoughts and opinions as much as you are to your beliefs in altering minds you don’t agree with. This would be mixing Adolf Hitler with Big Brother. Not a world I would want to be in. Nor one I would allow to exist. A person’s mind is sacred and not to altered by the likes of anyone without the willing agreement of the patient.

6 Likes

A person’s mind is sacred and not to altered by the likes of anyone without the willing agreement of the patient.

They gave up their right when they decided to commit such an egregious crime.

Regardless, there are ways to achieve consent through persuasion. An idea I’ve been floating about is if directly forcing them into the procedure gets litigated and declared unconstitutional, my fall back suggestion is to simply throw them in jail for life in solitary confinement and only let them out if they consent to the procedure.

Ya think?!? :astonished: What fantasy world do you live in? Of course, it will be misused and abused.

This is the main thing that needs to be discussed. How do we administer this form of justice, without having it be used in ways that it shouldn’t. Or at least, minimize the amount of misuse or abuse. We are only interested in curing anti social attitudes, not trying to turn an accountant into a musician, or musician into a coder, and vise versa.

I think a safeguard is to outline a list of high level felonies in which this form of justice can be administered.

No, maybe no one likes bigots, transphobes, misogynists, homophobes, pro-c, but they are as entitled to their thoughts and opinions

So long as they don’t act on it. If they assault a trans person because he hates trans, gay people or women, we are going to reprogram his mind using neural link to cure all the anti social attitudes and urges. Offending MAPs (MAPs who act on their urges to assault children) especially, should be forcibly reprogrammed and they will be first in line, partly if something goes wrong with neural link and kills the offender Map, it’s not that big of a deal. But if it kills any other type of criminal, it would be a big problem.

Then that’s not consent! Fucking hell, never thought I’d see someone here who is plainly anti consent.

We don’t period. This is not “justice” and there is no way this can be considered humane.

No matter how many times you being this up here it will never receive support, fuck off.

6 Likes

This is a terrible idea, however, I’ve always found the concept of this sort of technology to be interesting in a highly disturbing manner and I recently began writing a story with a similar premise.

In the story I wrote, humanity decides to end the epidemic of teen sex, teen pregnancies, and other sexual taboos and crimes by microchipping everyone at birth with a neural chip that suppresses their hormones and inhibits sexual thoughts until they reach the age of 20, in which the chip continues to control their hormones, just to a slightly less restrictive degree.

Like many dystopian stories, my story seeks to show how this technology could be abused but after seeing what happened to Black Mirror, I’m sure someone will look at this and think ‘‘hey! that’s a pretty cool idea!’’.

3 Likes

It is unethical. It is also science fiction.

I think you need to stop tagging me.

4 Likes

It is science fiction, now. It won’t be forever. We should think about how to control this sort of evil, authoritarian claptrap before it is possible.

5 Likes

The closest thing there is to that sort of “brain scanning” or “thought scanning” tech would be fMRI scanning tech where it measures brain activity by running a beam through your brain to measure blood flow.
fMRI tech has been a massive boon to the fields of neurology, but it’s sadly being misapprorpiated to make some people believe that certain conditions or thought patterns can be communicated by that tech alone. It essentially suffers from the same problems as polygraph tests, wherein all they can really do is detect that you’re stressed and try to correlate that to detecting lies or mistruths.

Patternistic correlation in fields like this is something the scientific community ought to be wary of.

4 Likes