Petition to ban lolicon and shotacon Sims 4 mods

The ‘‘it is a private business, it can do what it wants, argument’’ is probably the true definition of a ‘‘slippery slope’’. Businesses have a lot of power, allowing them to do whatever they want because they are privately owned is a one-way ticket to human rights abuses.

1 Like

It’s honestly quite surprising how many people (mainly Americans) think “It’s only censorship when the government do it.”

4 Likes

‘‘specifically, every government that isn’t the U.S Government’’

1 Like

It’s not protected by the First Amendment unless it’s government action. Private parties can censor whatever they want. In the US.

2 Likes

Exactly, that’s why Twitter bans aren’t a violation of the First Amendment. Twitter is an independent platform non-affiliated with the government; if they want you gone you get gone. It ain’t illegal for a business to ban your ass.

1 Like

well something beeing legal doesn´t mean it´s good. Neither does something beeing illegal mean it´s bad. Moral != law.

1 Like

Never gave my opinion one way or the other, just pointing out that many Americans don’t actually understand the First Amendment. You’ll always see people saying that their Twitter ban is a violation of their First Amendment rights, but that’s just not how it works.

1 Like

Social media is a de facto public forum.

1 Like

But not a de jure public forum.

2 Likes

Twitter is not the government, not affiliated with the government, not hired by the government. They’re a private corporation who reserves their right to refuse service to anybody, so long as their reasons are legitimate and not based on discrimination (and no, being banned for expressing your own discriminatory opinions, promoting violence, or spreading misinformation is NOT the same as Twitter itself discriminating against you). No different than a store tossing your ass out if you cause trouble. Companies ≠ government.

2 Likes

True, but the opposite is also true, Like, Twitter is not obliged to offer you anything, but you are also not obliged to accept anything from them, including their guidelines :3
Like, when I click on whatever button they show me, that doesn’t mean I accept any rules they put behind it. There is no such thing as a “virtual contract”. And in the end, if they are able to keep me away from Twitter, good for them, and if they are not, good for me :3

2 Likes