A conversation about the social media attacks on Prostasia

So basically the usual suspects (“loli is CSAM!”) are the ones calling Akamatsu a fascist. We can readily dismiss their accusations.

3 Likes

Also, called the political party that he belonged to, the Japanese “far right”.

LDP has always been a right-leaning party (was literally founded by an OG Japanese fascist) and has admittedly been shifting further and further to the right (Shinzo Abe regularly denied Japan’s war crimes and wanted to rewrite Japan’s Constitution to give himself the power to declare war preemptively), but there are more moderate factions.

However, with Abe’s association with the Moonies being exposed after his assassination (which made several Japanese side with the assassin!), the LDP has seen a decrease in popularity. Nobody wants a modern-day Rasputin cultist ruling their country. This guilt-by-association is prolly why people have accused Akamatsu of being a fascist. Unless he starts spouting off some racist nonsense about how Zainichi (Koreans in Japan) are all gangbangers or how he’s gonna preemptively invade the PRC, I’ll hold my tongue on any accusations of warmongering fascistic tendencies on his part.

1 Like

To be fair, the Japanese could do with being a bit more aggressive. Between Detective Conan and Ace Attorney, I have to wonder if it’s a cultural thing that I, as an American, cannot understand. There are cases where the “victim” is himself a criminal, who dies, due to self-defense or even by accident, but then the “culprit’s” only crime is trying to hide the situation, like there is some inherent shame in it.

As an American, I’d feel proud of being able to defend myself, so the next scumbag will reconsider trying to rob me. Sword Art Online Season 2 had an entire plotline where the main heroine Sinon felt shame, and was shunned by society (and her own mother), for shooting a bank robber as a kid. So unfortunately it is a cultural difference. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but while Japan is usually based, in this case, they are rather unbased. I’d even say that they are debased.

3 Likes

I can’t say it’s a topic I’ve researched heavily, but to my knowledge, Japan, like a lot of Asian countries, is deeply rooted in tradition, and that can mean certain outdated views about what is considered shameful get carried over

“Saving face”. It’s better to die than surrender/admit defeat. Hence the suicide attacks during the war. Also explains why those who fail at school/work will either commit suicide or just run away/skip town. Can’t bear the shame of failure.

Admitting that Japan committed war crimes /genocide is shaming their ancestors, hence why all those old fogies in the LDP are super whitewash happy when it comes to WW2.

South Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong all similarly struggle with how to handle failure/shortcomings. High suicide rates related to not doing well in school/struggling at work.

2 Likes

But that’s all the more reason to take pride in being able to defend yourself!

1 Like

So…, how do you feel about gun laws? As an American?

“Low-lee”. “or udderwize”. Still considering pedophiles as “potential threats”. A lot of assumptions once again. Since statistically the offenders are those closest to, and trusted by the child. When are these presumptive juding moral flaggers going to wake up!

And human trafficking is real and a huge problem. The children being violated are done so by those who feel they’ll never get caught. And most of them are just opportunistic predators. Whether or not more or less of them are pedophiles, I don’t know? And whether or not children are being tortured and killed by satanic cults, just hazard a guess? But something isn’t right with the number of missing children that are never found every year is disturbing.

Gun control is knowing when and where to use them and hitting your target when you do. Being responsible and keeping them locked and away from children and any unauthorized, untrained person. You need to be qualified and understand the laws and consequences of being forced to use one.

2 Likes

Excellent advice, but that is not what the Second Amendment says.

Same as any one (idiot) can have a kid.

1 Like

Or vote. Choosing a representative should be more informed than most voters are.