A conversation about the social media attacks on Prostasia

Originally published at: https://prostasia.org/blog/social-media-attacks-on-prostasia/

Early in September Prostasia was the center of a social media firestorm on Twitter. The attacks started with opponents of sex workers, but soon spread across the political spectrum, including some progressives, some centrists, and many people with strong connections to alt right networks. Prostasia has been targeted before. This attack was larger and more…

10 Likes

Here in the UK, I often watch afternoon quiz shows; sometimes they have ‘Celebrity’ versions.

Although I have no idea to what extent it’s mandated, but as celebrities they always play for a charity where any money they make goes to that charity - and often, the celebrity is an official patron.

I keep imagining that if when, say, ‘Bradley Walsh’ or ‘Stephen Mulhern’ asks the celebrity contestant which charity they’re playing for, and they say “Prostasia” and then proceed to describe the cause, how might that play out, how would the host/show producers react?

Of course, as ‘Prostasia’ isn’t UK based this would be a pretty unlikely scenario, but it perhaps illustrates why ‘Prostasia’ lacks any real credibility amongst many well-intentioned people who would otherwise support the principled goals of researching how to end child abuse and protecting human rights. (Whether one should add the adjective ‘sexual’ to either of those goals is debatable.) Their “Gods” are highly likely to be the famous celebrities of their world, and without this endorsement they are going to shun any cause, especially that which could be misconstrued or misunderstood, and the celebrities themselves are going to be advised similarly.

Only when a public icon is of sufficient belief in the principles of what ‘Prostasia’ is trying to achieve might they ignore their advisers and be prepared to publicly support us.

Of course, this would be a significant challenge, not to say risk, for all involved. A higher profile, especially when accentuated by mainstream media, will inevitably also result in higher, more intense, adversity. (Reading of Ernest Henley’s ‘Invictus’ may have to become a required daily ritual.)

The best, if not only, way forward is maybe to highlight the courage, commitment and sacrifices of the people who work here. In truth that cannot be disputed.

Maybe in time, a personality not hitherto involved in this field, who is of sufficient standing, and who’s character and reputation is beyond reproach, will have the courage to associate themselves publicly with us in the face of persistent, unconscionable and intentionally deceitful misrepresentations. There’s always hope I suppose.

2 Likes

Many people on the right are extremely conspiracy-minded. It won’t matter what you say to them because no matter what you say they will always read something that isn’t there. To them it’s all a smokescreen and coverup for something darker and more sinister. It’s like pizzagate where they had many people believing that some pizzeria in D.C was selling children based on “code words” they “deciphered” in emails. You have nutjobs like Alex Jones who will claim that satanic pedophiles run the world.

It would be comical if it wasn’t so harmful.

4 Likes

I would add one thing here, Jeremy, based on my militating against Covid disinformation trolls (and occasional people) on Twitter. This topic also helps the white-nationalists and their aligns in and around the Q movement to pursue their “broader campaign of bigotry against” science. Science has been a bad-news-bear for these people, telling them first that gay and trans are outside the moral sphere, and then that their industrial interests are destroying the world as an ecosystem, and now that they have to react to a pandemic that slows down money-making for many upper-level people. The classic spin move, in such a situation, is to find the assertion by the other side that can be made to look the worst, and spin it hard to demonize it maximally. Thus, a scientific assertion of ‘minor attraction also has a biological basis’ provides an opportunity that can be used against the entire enterprise of science. Maintaining the idealized 1950s white culture that these groups dream of demands being able to eliminate science wherever it causes discomfort, saving only enough of it to engineer new weapons and toys with, while the rest of epistemology returns to the comforts of medieval wishfulness.

3 Likes

Thing is, the left attacks us just as much as the right. They just use different words. To me, there is no significant difference between being labeled a “degenerate” vs. being labeled “problematic”.

5 Likes

Finnish version of Prostasia would be Sexpo, but they have the benefit that they exist since the 1960s and work together with the gov. and children organizations like Save the Children and international Universities. Back in 2016 when CLSD were reported by customs they were asked and said that these items should not be criminalized. Also actively being invited to legal procedings (e.g law making etc. guidance). They have a very good reputation and people actually value their work.

Prostasia is not viewed as credible, because it lacks the connections and age.

4 Likes

Sick is all I will say about this.

Yeah, fighting to keep kids safe from abuse is pretty sick

2 Likes

This is the sort of crap that people spout off. Always confusing Minor Attraction with predators and perpetrators. It’s a false belief system that needs to be smashed!

4 Likes

What’s that little black icon next to Andy’s name? Right by the verified tick?

Twitter’s new organization/company tag. It’s a small Post Millenial logo in this case

How come I’m not seeing this for other organizations, like MSNBC? Is it just a matter of not having things set up for it, or is it only available to people and orgs that Elon likes?

Because it costs $1000 and all you get is the tags and a Twitter Blue subscription

What an absolute joke.

“Sound of Freedom” is 110% QAnon bullshit. Listen to some of the psychotic crap the lead actor has said. And if you wanna see the most scathing criticism of this film, see what actual trafficking victims have said. Namely, the film portrays trafficking victims as being abducted by scary men. Top comment on a Reddit thread was a real child trafficking victim. They claimed that they were never abducted or coerced, they trusted the adults in question. Never felt anything was wrong with what was happening until later. Her worry is that this film spreads disinformation that will only harm trafficking victims. Same vein as how “stranger danger” takes the focus away from the more likely source of abuse: trusted and well-known members of your community.

5 Likes

I still don’t get the QAnon connection or even understand what QAnon is supposed to mean? Like wokeness, just some word attached to an idea that is practiced as something else? I just don’t get any of that stuff. Please, don’t try to explain it to me, I seriously don’t understand this labelling stuff. Same as red pill/black pill, yeah I know it’s a Matrix reference. Only thing that matters to me is truth.

I merely was pointing out that people speaking out against this movie are calling anti-c MAPs leftists. Still labelling MAPs as monsters. That all MAPs are potential offenders and painting them as if they’ve already commited a crime. Speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

If what you say is true, because I haven’t seen the movie; then it seems the same people that think their doing the right thing, are once again doing the wrong thing. Virtue signaling. Using percieved victimhood as a scapegoat for “feel good” politics. Actually victimizing the kids caught up in human trafficking. I mean they are victims of an insideous plague. No?

The real threat to children will always be a trusted adult who hides their true intentions. Who is opportunistic of their own selfishness, not caring about the harm their doing to another person. More worried about hiding it and not getting caught. Goes hand in hand with murder. Pure evil.

And here’s where I’ll digress and stand on the reason I came to Prostasia. Yes, protecting children from adult things is important. These are the same people out to ban childlike dolls assuming every owner is having their way with them as if they are real children. They are surrogates for real children. A “stand-in”. I’d rather see a person use a life-like doll than harm a real kid. Is that too left or right? Who cares?! It is what it is.

As for many doll owners, they quickly become attached to their doll. Give her a name and a personality and would much rather spend time with it than with a real child, especially when it comes to the damaging part of attraction. No real child is ever harmed. The focus becomes their doll.

And many, have them as replcements for real children. Either they lost a child, or to remember a time in their life when there was a child in their life, getting to relive those moments again. Or never being able to have children, wanting to have the experience of being a good parent. They’re treated as such and never used for sex. It’s a very deep emotional experience that helps people to feel whole again.

Accusing doll owners of terrible things is damaging and cruel. Same as labelling MAPs as monsters. When in reality, all they’re doing is pouring their brokenness into a piece of rubber and steel. It’s all in their imagination, no one is harmed.

2 Likes

The core QAnon conspiracy theory is that a cabal of Satanic,[2][3][4] cannibalistic child molesters are operating a global child sex trafficking ring which conspired against former U.S. President Donald Trump during his term in office.

This is what MAGA believes. I’m tired of folks tellin’ me I need to play nice with these people. These are the same people who raided our Capitol. They’re nothin’ but a terrorist cult no different from the KKK, NOI, Nazis, al-Qaeda, ISIS, Taliban, Hamas, Hindutva, 969, Khalistan, Moonies, Aum Shinrikyo, Nippon Kaigi, etc. Buncha Gravy Seal Y’all Qaeda bastards.

Moderate Repubs? Fine. MAGA extremists? Screw em.

Unfortunately, wolf-crying goes both ways. When someone, like Ken Akamatsu, is called “far right”, it really makes that lose any punch as an insult. Though, to be fair, most words against me have lost their punch. For example, I honestly don’t know the value of “doing the right thing” is, when this @beastvicious8672 asshole tells me to do so here: In Defense of Lolicon and Loli Art - YouTube

Who the Hell is calling Akamatsu a fascist? Dude literally advocates for freedom of artistic expression. A true fascist would call for the burning of such books, not their proliferation.

Looked it up and saw that claim on the same page as where someone conflated CSAM with fictional content to claim he promoted CSAM

3 Likes