A Theory And A Suggestion

Oh, you don’t like my paraphrase of pro-contact. There are lots of flavors of it, so you run into a lot of different things. They’re not one heterogeneous group.

I’ll keep it short and sweet then. Too much theory, not enough practice, very fantastical, not concrete enough to be put in practice. Makes people feel good about themselves, but end up going around in circles. They are good at pointing out ways society fails however, sometimes Whataboutism and often because they do see a lot of problems.

Some mentalities are along the lines of eternally being able to make relationships due to attractions dividing them from everyone. It’s not really stigma per say, but there is a connection to it somewhat. No one wants to be forever alone, but there are a lot of groups.

They are the biggest canary to see whether society is about to crackdown on everyone (not just themselves).

Those are good ideas, just keep some degree of human oversight.

Nah, Twitter just straight-up bans those people, they only very reluctantly let some people in, but they still let some nasty people rally up witch hunts. It isn’t going to teach anyone anything.

Tor is an interesting story, I haven’t ventured far myself, but I have heard of there being an absolutely gargantuan number of pedophiles down there and many, many who are true pedophiles (in other words, exclusive).

Those are tricky, particularly as I have a good idea of how they think. Exclusive is already completely screwed, so there is little to look forward to to begin with and plenty of ways to become more miserable. A lot is bound to come off as just making people suffer or looking like a honeypot.

Trying to change their ideology isn’t quite the same thing as getting them not to act in person however. There are plenty of ways to persuade someone not to do that which fits perfectly with every ideology tbh.

This is second-hand knowledge though. Exclusives aren’t inherently bad people, I’m probably one, not trying to be mean or anything.

You are of a sound mind. The first step towards any kind of resolution towards this insidious problem would involve looking into and re-evaluating the lack of anti-child abuse initiatives. Child abuse isn’t the only cause, as there happen to be a gigantic plethora of others, but it, in one way or another, often plays a fundamental role in the creation and cultivation of many harrowing crimes.

That is a very strange way of putting it.

In general, people love simple solutions. Simple solutions are easy to articulate and drum up popular support for, especially when the solution happens to look identical to what people want to do (drop the AoC down to whatever the lower bounds of one’s AoA is or decriminalize specific acts that one individual may be into) or what society wants them to do (get rid of the thoughts), but with a fresh layer of paint over it.

My stance is ever-shifting, but in general, if someone is going to consume generally harmless content of real people, then they shouldn’t make their presence very painfully obvious (like in the case of the YT paedophiles where they went from video to video making inappropriate comments). This doesn’t really help anyone. It doesn’t help them, it doesn’t help the uploaders (it likely makes them very uncomfortable at-least later on!), and it is another excuse for society to get very mad.

That could also be argued to be partly society’s fault, but there are certain actions which make one more culpable than they otherwise would have been.

And people get lonely. They just simply do. Perhaps, they’re not lonely one day and subscribe to the whole status quo, but give it a few years, perhaps give it a few decades, and sometimes their views will flip. I have seen it in my all but six months that I have been in this “world”. They don’t necessarily commit crimes, a political belief isn’t a crime, but it isn’t too difficult to see why someone would follow those views.

There is also the view that stigma causes the views which in turn causes the crime, rather I might say that stigma causes the heightened sexual desire and feeling of dire loss) which partially causes the crime (but there are a lot of reasons someone might commit a crime!). That said, there are people who are more rational and pragmatic, along with people who are more… chaotic, I would say that a lot of it depends on their personality, although it could very well be a very good justification to themselves.

Figuring out other factors would be extremely difficult, but engaging in self-destructive behavior in which one suppresses their desires (despite being given the opportunity to vent them) due to social pressures to the point that it erupts is one big theory I have. Experimenting on oneself would seem to point to that as-well.

This is also one reason I don’t quite subscribe to hard-line anti-contact ideology as it were, as I follow the view that it is better to commit a lesser crime (what even is a crime anymore with everything being illegal?) than it is to commit a greater one, although it would be even better, if safe outlets are able to help people to commit no crime at all, if possible.

I generally don’t talk to “hands on” offenders as I deeply, deeply loath them for a variety of reasons, not least that I believe they very well could have avoided it with an outlet (I have sympathy for addictions, but not for things that look self-inflicted), but they did seem to be very remorseful for their actions and they didn’t seem like they did it out of some sort of ideology.

I could be wrong in some areas, I am a tad naive, but maybe this could be useful… slightly. I will have to do further research to figure out exactly how wrong I am.

I do encourage people who identify as pro-contact to not commit “hands on” offenses whenever possible. I don’t know if that does anything, but I hope it does, especially since the more crimes that are committed, the worse my own reputation becomes. There is somewhat of a consensus that it is a terrible idea, but I would hope I don’t hear of them getting dragged away by the police for that.

Sorry if I’m slightly hijacking your thread, but I thought of a little theory:

The NYTimes pointed out something interesting! A lot of the people who were convicted for images and also had “hands on” offenses committed the “hands on” offences before they looked at the images, but at that point, you kind of have nothing to lose.

I would imagine that they confessed to it on an online forum (or there was some other reason to investigate) and the FBI focused their efforts on them (as they rightfully should tbh).

2 Likes