Butterfly Kisses Oakland screening preview

Originally published at: https://prostasia.org/blog/butterfly-kisses-oakland-screening-preview/

Butterfly Kisses, directed by Rafael Kapelinski and starring Theo Stevenson as Jake, is a haunting and thought provoking coming of age story with a twist, that Prostasia Foundation will be screening in Oakland on August 18. Although there is no getting around the darkness of the film’s subject matter, it also manages to be unexpectedly…

Has anyone else here watched the film?

I watched it after seeing the screening announcement, knowing I wouldn’t be able to make it to Oakland, and found it profoundly moving and thought-provoking.

I won’t spoil the movie or the discussion by front-loading my thoughts here — I’ve now watched it several more times, and largely agree with the review above — but would love to hear any and all other opinions.

(For those struggling with where to find it, as I did — there are two movies with this name and similar release dates — it’s available exclusively on Flix Premiere, which has a free one-month trial period.)