Child abuser spared jail for groping boy, 13, and saying ‘I’ll ride you ’til morning’

Not a single good source for this. (Chose the lesser evil.)

A dental receptionist groped a 13-year-old boy on a park bench and told him: ‘I’m going to ride you ‘til morning.’

Jade Berry, 27, was drunkenly staggering through Rivacre Valley Country Park in Cheshire when she came across the youngster chatting with a pal.

She plonked herself between them and tried to join in their conversation before stroking the boy’s privates over his clothing and then offering him sex.

As they got up to leave, Berry dropped her trousers and flashed them before she passed out.

The boy told his mum what happened when he got home, and she called the police.

Berry had left the area by the time they arrived, but officers found her bank card and phone.

When she was arrested two days later, on October 5 last year, she said: ‘Oh my God, I do not recall anything, like.’

Berry, who had been drinking white wine, admitted sexual assault and was handed a 12-month prison sentence which was suspended for 18 months.

The judge ordered she wear a ‘sobriety’ tag for 18 months and complete a 35-day rehabilitation activity requirement.

She was told to sign on the Sex Offenders’ Register for 10 years.

The incident occurred on October 3 last year after Berry was making her way through the nature reserve after drinking heavily with friends.

James Coutts, prosecuting, said: ‘The victim was seated on a bench in woodland when the defendant approached him. She was unknown to him and was clearly intoxicated.

‘She sat between the two boys and began to touch and rub his genitals and the upper area of his thigh over his clothing whilst making highly inappropriate and sexualised comments.

‘She said she was going to “ride him ‘til morning”.

‘They had in fact been talking previously about his upcoming 14th birthday – and it was quite clear to them she knew how old he was.

‘The boys almost immediately left, leaving her on the bench. She removed her clothing and exposed her genitals and buttocks before passing out. They did take a video of the scene.

‘The victim went home and told his mother who contacted the police. The officers attended the scene and found her bank card and her phone.

‘By the time the officers arrived she had left the area. But she was arrested on October 5. Her response to being arrested was, “Oh My God, I do not recall anything, like”.

‘She was asked questions in an interview. She answered “No comment” to all questions. An identity parade was arranged in which the victim was involved.

‘He successfully identified the defendant as the one involved in the incident.’

The court heard he has since attempted to take his own life and suffered nightmares which caused him to wet the bed.

Defending, John Wyn Williams told the court: ‘[Berry] has sadly suffered from mental health problems since the age of 15 or 16 and Covid was a particularly difficult time for her.

‘She has a self-destructive nature and because of this nature she has turned to alcohol to deal with his issues, but she now realises that is not the answer to her problems.

‘It seems that her alcohol intoxication may have led her into doing and committing this offence. There is genuine heartfelt remorse and she shows victim empathy.’

Sentencing, the judge Mr Recorder Mr Eric Lamb said: ‘I accept that there is genuine and heartfelt remorse.

‘On the one hand, this is a sexual assault on a young person by someone who is 27 years of age and it is plainly a serious matter.

‘But on the other side there is strong personal mitigation as a result of genuine remorse, and the series of events that have led you to your mental health difficulties.

‘You now realise that you must alter your ways.’

…But they’ll punish the person who likes anime art.

3 Likes

Ngl as a prison abolitionist and someone who is anti-punitive justice, the sentence seems reasonable for a crime that was drug-motivated and a person who has (I assume) no evidence of being a threat to others while sober. Though I agree with your point that the punishments for things like fictional content are absurd

3 Likes

Maybe the mindset is: ‘Men can take care of themselves, and boys are basically little men.’

With sexual exploitation or abuse, for example, over decades of news-media consumption I’ve noticed that, for example, when victims are girls their gender is readily reported as such; but when they’re boys they are typically referred to gender-neutrally as simply children. It’s as though, as a news product made to sell the best, the child victims being female is somehow more shocking than if male.

Additionally, I’ve heard and read news-media references to a 19-year-old female victim as a ‘girl’, while (in an unrelated case) a 17-year-old male perpetrator was described as a ‘man’. Could it be that this is indicative of an already present gender bias held by the general news consumership, since news-media tend to sell us what we want or are willing to consume thus buy?

It’s as though boys are somehow perceived as basically being little men, and men of course can take care of themselves. It could be the same mindset that might help explain why the book Childhood Disrupted only included one male among its six interviewed adult subjects, there presumably being such a small pool of ACE-traumatized men willing to formally tell his own story of childhood abuse.

It might be yet more evidence of a continuing subtle societal take-it-like-a-man mentality, one in which so many men will choose to abstain from ‘complaining’ about their torturous youth, as that is what ‘real men’ do.

Even in this day and age, male victims of sexual harassment, abuse and/or assault are still more hesitant or unlikely than girl victims to report their offenders. They refuse to open up and/or ask for help for fear of being perceived by peers and others as weak or non-masculine.

Perhaps boys tend to believe they’re in some manner externally perceived as basically being little men, and men of course can take care of themselves.

I read a couple years ago a New York Times feature story (“She Was a Big Hit on TikTok. Then a Fan Showed Up With a Gun”, February 19, 2022) written by reporter Elizabeth Williamson who at one point states: “Teen girls have been repeatedly targeted by child predators” on social media.

Why write this when the fact is teen boys are also targeted by such predators? Does a collective yet mostly subtle societal mindset still persist, that real men can take care of themselves and boys are basically little men? And if mainstream news-media fail to fully realize this in their journalism, why would the rest of society?

1 Like