Ghislaine Maxwell found guilty in sex-trafficking trial

The British former socialite Ghislaine Maxwell was found guilty of sex trafficking in her Manhattan federal court trial on Wednesday afternoon.

Maxwell, 60, was arrested in July 2020, charged with involvement in ex-boyfriend Jeffrey Epstein’s sexual abuse of teenage girls, some as young as 14.

Maxwell was convicted on five of the six charges she faced. In addition to sex-trafficking, Maxwell was found guilty of conspiracy to entice individuals under the age of 17 to travel in interstate commerce with intent to engage in illegal sexual activity, conspiracy to transport individuals under the age of 17 to travel in interstate commerce with intent to engage in illegal sexual activity; transportation of an individual under the age of 17 with intent to engage in illegal sexual activity; and conspiracy to commit sex trafficking of individuals under the age of 18.

2 Likes

No sympathy for those who sexually exploit and abuse children. Such a damn shame that young, impressionable teenagers are often left in such a state where these types of activities can happen.

2 Likes

I believe we should have sympathy. Helping people after they commit a crime is just as important as helping people before a crime is committed. After all, nobody is “irredeemable”. Rehabilitation works for everyone.

3 Likes

I think the justice system should operate under the assumption that nobody is irredeemable, and it’s processes should reflect that.

Whether or not people such as Ghislaine Maxwell are in truth “redeemable”, presuming a truth of the matter could even exist, is something no one can truly know. But if we are to evolve our justice systems to a rehabilitative paradigm, I don’t think we ought to make exceptions to that predicated on hollow conjecture about who is and isn’t redeemable - after all, certainty was never the domain of these institutions anyways.

3 Likes

You’re so right! I can understand how some people feel when it comes to this subject but having sympathy and a desire to rehabilitate is definitely the reaction of a more mature society in my opinion and I believe that this approach is more likely to help prevent ex-offenders from offending again.

3 Likes

Note: I am NOT justifying the actions of those like Maxwell and Epstein. Keep this in mind.

I understand having no sympathy for those who make a living off of the exploitation of hundreds if not thousands of people, but what about those who only offended once and feel enormous remorse?

I only bring this up because I once saw on Quora someone asking what should be done about pedophiles. One young man responded stating he felt great distress at the other responses, which basically boiled down to:

“Pedophiles need help to not offend, but those that do deserve the woodchipper”.

That last part hurt him, because he had once committed CSA. Only once, long ago, for which he immediately turned himself in, against someone who ultimately forgave him years later, even though she was quite young at the time of the crime. And he was greatly fearful of these other responses because they indicated that nobody could even fathom sympathy/empathy for ANYONE who committed CSA, no matter the circumstances. He made no excuses for what he did, he only wished people would recognize that not all cases of CSA are equally deserving of such punishment. There’s a difference between people like Albert Fish or Tsutomu Miyazaki, and people like himself who fucked up once and swore never again.

For the record, I wish Epstein didn’t die and I hope Maxwell doesn’t either. I want her to reform, to do her time and never harm another innocent person again. I was watching The War Against Humanity on YouTube, and someone in the comments criticized Spartacus (the host) for condemning both Axis and Allied war crimes/crimes against humanity, stating the Allies’ crimes were justified because they were fighting the Nazis. Spartacus shut them down, saying that if we have no sympathy even for those who commit horrible crimes, we’re effectively dehumanizing them, which is the first step towards the very same atrocities perpetrated by the Axis. Dehumanizing the Axis is what led to the Allies committing war crimes back. And I fear in dehumanizing those like Maxwell and Nassar, we’d encourage people to start dehumanizing ALL CSA committers, including that young man…

A lack of sympathy, even towards the worst of us, is precisely what enables the ongoing War Against Humanity.

I sympathize with you and the victims of modern slavery, but I also sympathize with the perpetrators too. What circumstances led them to this? They seem alien, almost demonic/monstrous to us, but truth is that they’re just as human as you or me. Only by having empathy can we try to understand these people, their motives, and only then can we prevent their activities before they begin.

Apologies for the long, controversial post! And thank you for your words earlier.

1 Like

Also, here’s a link to TimeGhost’s (Spartacus) forum for anyone fascinated with World War II or anything historical:

No problem! Take your time, make sure you get down all info you want to, yeah?

1 Like