Hypersexuality?

This isn’t really anything clinical or peer reviewed, but I’ve been doing a bit of personal research for a number of reasons and I stumbled upon a psychology article.

One of the things that I noticed from generally talking to people is that some people seem to have strong compulsions around children that they have problems combating while others don’t so much.

I’m wondering if hypersexuality is perhaps involved in this? One person’s sex drive may be much higher than anothers (one reason why dealing with this problem is so difficult as not every patient so to speak is the same).

It seems to be particularly common for those with bipolar disorder. Sadly, even teleiophiles (attracted to adults) often seem to lack the support they need for this, I can’t imagine how damaging that would be to someone.

Unfortunately, those who are pedophilic and don’t have strong compulsions seem to reject the label entirely (due to societal reasons) and see themselves as something entirely different, at-least as far as I have seen.

Yes, it’s important to acknowledge that many of whose who commit child abuse and who are pedophilic probably do have other problems going on in their lives, such as mental health and substance abuse issues (which may stem from their condition but may equally be completely independent from it). It shouldn’t be surprising that they are overrepresented in the criminal justice system, nor that outdated studies of people going through that system have created a false picture of the psychology of minor attraction.

1 Like

That is true. I also think that mental health and substance abuse issues in general could be treated far more effectively and earlier than they are now. It is unfortunate how many may go completely untreated even in completely different contexts.