Interview: Developer Of Japanese Video Games Discusses The Rise Of Loli Censorship In Anime And Video Games

Recently, there has been a drastic increase in outrage against loli and loli-style artworks and characters.

Unable to separate the concept of “young females drawn with baby-like big eyes, a chubby face and a small build” from the real world, critics of the art style and fandom have falsely accused both of promoting sexual violence against real-world minors.

Believing themselves to be performing a societal good, the vocal condemnation campaigns undertaken by opponents have resulted in such outcomes as a Japanese mangaka being harassed, Patreon blanket-purging any art even slightly fitting the style’s standard, and a player being banned from a fighting game tournament for liking the genre’s numerous loli characters.

In light of this ongoing attempt to erase any trace of the loli-style from anime and video games and curious as to how this attitude has affected the actual industry, Bounding Into Comics reached out to an insider for their insights.

Graciously taking time out of their day to speak with us after we reached out, writer, 3D artist, developer of Japanese video games, Haru47 spoke with us about this rising trend and what it means for the future of Japanese media in the West.

[cont.]

2 Likes

I’m hopeful that these attacks on fiction and free expression die down, or they’re not as serious abroad as they are in the west.

There’s no excuse for conflating fiction with reality the way these zealots do. None. A fantastical drawing depicting a fictional character cannot and is not on the same ground as a photograph of an actual child.

2 Likes

I am fully supportive of the need to rescue and protect children, as well as secure their futures. But such motives as these are tainted with unnecessary harmful law motions that overextend the main goal into a territory of reactive rage and hatred, and too far away from the clear and good thought process that it just was.

We have seen this in the past and still see it in modern times where there is an overbearingly strong foundation that we want to help, but then that good energy is overshadowed by blaming the solutions and medicines that work very well for those who need them. Then they are banned, causing much more suffering while still offering no solution to the main problem at hand. This is not the way.

I am sure we will regain this sense of understanding. It is just a long gradual process of making silly mistakes and then later correcting them. We see it with food and health regulation. We see it with same-sex marriage. We see it with cannabis and education. It is at least trending consistently.

We will get there.

1 Like

nice comment I hope it’s sooner than later