New Tor onion site for this forum! Test it now

Exciting news! To further improve your privacy and security, Prostasia’s web forum is now available on the Tor network also. Here’s the address, which will only work using the Tor browser:

http://prostasdmmuabnw4.onion

For optimum security, we recommend that you create a brand new account for accessing the site through Tor, that you haven’t used when accessing the site on the clearweb. Also, don’t use the Google or other social media login shortcuts, but create a new and unique username and password.

Please try it out and let us know if you have any problems.

5 Likes

Discourse (the forum software) requires JavaScript for a long of things (unless you’re logged out) and onion links make me instinctively flinch (you can blame some people in some places posting links to very naughty things, never where you would expect…)

There are some Discourse lookalikes which don’t need JavaScript, but I’m not sure they would work.

1 Like

Thanks to a new feature, if you visit this site at its ordinary web address in the Tor browser, it will show you a button that you can press to go straight to the onion version. See the screenshot for how it looks.

Unfortunately I messed up somewhere and had to make a new onion address though, which I’ve updated in the post above (the original onion address will no longer work).

3 Likes

Due to a change in the Tor protocol, our old onion link no longer works and has been replaced by a new one:

prosta2wutydoxkreilaq6lcwmqwayrqtvxoybv32ibxkxjv5g4zcyyd.onion

If you access the forum over Tor, then the address bar should prompt you to switch to the onion version of the site. If you have trouble with this, please let me know.

2 Likes

Try reducing your security settings in the Tor browser (I know that defeats the purpose somewhat, but Discourse was not developed for Tor).

2 Likes

Hi all, this forum has just been migrated to a new server and the Tor version of the website isn’t yet active on the new server. With that said, I’m not sure how many people were using it. If this is a feature that you’ll miss, please reply here or drop me a DM to let me know, so that I can gauge the priority of reinstating the Tor onionsite.

1 Like

I had never really thought about using Tor to browse the forum, but I guess it makes sense for it to have an onion link.

2 Likes

OK, the onion link is working again now! Thanks for your patience.

3 Likes