"Non-discrimination" principle

This thread is for comments on the Non-discrimination principle that will form part of Prostasia Foundation’s draft Best Practice Principles for Sexual Content Moderation and Child Protection. Please consult that master thread for background information.

Here is the current text, to be used as a starting point:

Content moderation decisions should be applied to users based on what they do, not who they are.

Please post your comments and suggestions below.

Thanks, but I’m reverting it and pasting your suggested expanded version below instead, so that this thread is chronological and starts with the initial version. Let’s keep the original proposal in each thread intact.

Content moderation decisions should be applied to users based on what they do, not who they are or how they self-identify their sexual attraction, gender identity, heritage, political views, socioeconomic status, etc.

I just noticed that your suggestion wouldn’t cover the case that you expressed concern about—it wouldn’t give any more explicit protection to sex workers. We could talk about “protected characteristics” which (at least in the U.S.) covers age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity. But this still isn’t broad enough. For now, I think keeping the language vague and broad may be the way to go until we can come up with a better option.