Well looksie here

No disorder is a crime.

7 Likes

When you have countries banning sex dolls, cartoons, or other forms of sexually-charged expression because they appeal to pedophilic tastes, despite the fact that they do not involve the sexual abuse of real children, nor will they be the catalyst that incites a person to commit sexual abuse against a child, then what would you call it?

7 Likes

@LegalLoliLover1 is correct. Actions are crimes, not thoughts.

Also

Pedophilia =/= Pedophilic Disorder

The DSM-5 was careful to differentiate paraphilias from paraphilic disorder. Pedophilia is no exception to this, and with good reason.

5 Likes

Today in ableism: ā€œhaving a literal mental disorder is a crimeā€

I mean, more teleiophiles are child molesters, so you too

5 Likes

As with all great achievments, they nearly always begin with a simple pragmatic idea, a ā€œwe can fix this by doing thisā€ sort of approach, but it never stays simple for very long.

When I initially read this I thought it was fairly sensible, and as I probably skipped past those bits that seemed problematic (initially) I thought: overall it wasnā€™t unreasonable. But along with the points being raised in the comments, I started to scrutinize and re-evaluate my own initial interpretation.

It would seem that this faq was written with the aim of attracting, and not alienating, people who could help in Prostasiaā€™s success; people who had some connections or interest in the existing child protection profession and could categorically say that they had no interest in being sympathetic to the plight of MAPs, that the primary goal was CSA preventionā€¦ as it still is.

There is, of course, a highly vocal minority who will simply not accept that such a difficult and emotionally charged issue can be resolved in any other way than by simple, straightforward, and (what the majority would say if they dared to speak up) unethical means.

Having said that, the vast majority of people who do have some sympathy will ā€œā€¦still believe that it is innately evil to think about children sexually, even if those thoughts are never acted upon.ā€ So their primary assumption would be that @prostasia go in the direction of ā€œre-educationā€ or at least psychiatric supportā€¦ or ā€œa pill.ā€

In many ways saying ā€œā€¦if it could be eliminated with a pill, it should beā€ has very similar ethical considerations to screening for genetically acquired disabilities. It might mean that a person grows up without certain adversities, but apart from being purely speculative in respect to paedophilia, would it actually work in practice?

In the end, what started out as a simple objective to end child sexual abuse has proved to be highly ā€œpoliticalā€ in nature, as nearly all things regarding human relationships are. The only way forward I see personally, is society not being afraid to talk about these issues more openly without fear of retribution, for the sake of all children. If my adult son and his friends are anything to go by, its likely to be a slow, generational process, but I am hopeful.

1 Like

Even if you did eliminate the sexual attraction to children, you would only reduce child sexual abuse by less than 30%.

Do some research into the issue and use the proper terminology.

9 Likes