Why MAPs don't "Get help!"

The only help these guys want for people like me is to be locked in a white room, tied up and medicated 24 hours a day. The prejudice and discrimination so normalized towards Maps in almost all societies is really frustrating.

8 Likes

Iā€™m afraid the treatment here in the States would not be so comfortable as a padded room. More likely a concrete floor and steel bars. You would also get the company of cell mates that may beat or murder you if they find out you have minor attractions. That could be the punishment for owning an unapproved sex toy in some states, should legal challenges to such laws fail. And to think that this was supposed to be a nation that doesnā€™t practice cruel and unusual punishment.

6 Likes

Larry Sanders, Co-Founder of Wikipedia, once wrote to a teenage MAP this:

If any teen of mine confessed to being sexually attracted to little children, I would (a) explain in great detail why pedophilia is not just a little bit wrong, but horrifically evil (and probably make them read the essay I wrote, and demonstrate excellent understanding of it) and (b) immediately seek professional help from a therapist who agreed with me that pedophilic desires must be treated as criminal ideation, with a goal of eliminating them as much as possible.

[ā€¦]

But I will, of course, show no compunctions about telling pedophiles directly and without regret that you are not just ā€œsick,ā€ but deeply morally corrupt, and I donā€™t mean a little bit or in a hip and edgy way (like, e.g., drug abuse seems to some people), but in a straightforward your-heart-is-black way. Pedophiles are evil. They donā€™t need empathy. They need therapy in the way that muggers could use rehabilitation ā€” not because we feel sorry for the pedophiles (or muggers), but because society desperately needs them to refrain from their evil behavior. And the notion that pedophilia is a sexual orientation that needs to be normalized is horrifying and beyond obscene.

I think that shows what ā€œget helpā€ means for many people: lock yourself in a room with a therapist who tells you for an hour how disgusting, wrong and evil you are. And then maybe tries to ā€œfixā€ you into not being attracted to children anymore.

8 Likes

Oof, this didnā€™t age well. I mean, Iā€™m not an offender, but I definitely need support now lol.

1 Like

Lol, I think itā€™s pretty normal to need and not need support at various points in life

3 Likes

I left MSC due to the overwhelming mental illness there. And now Iā€™ve left OMC for exactly the same reason. MAPs donā€™t seek help becuase they realize most people are mentally ill and they may not be. I donā€™t have bipolar disorder, narcessism, schizophrenia, autism, ADHD, or any other host of mental illnesses. Iā€™m completely fucked because thereā€™s no where to turn! I have to live with my hatred of myself with zero support!

1 Like

Yeah, people who are struggling with mental illnesses are gonna be disproportionately represented in support spaces. Not sure what you expected. If you canā€™t co-exist with other people who are looking for support, then you should look into professional support, since itā€™s more personalized

2 Likes

And risk being reported? Having it go on record?
NopeI have to go back to my loneliness and isolation once again. People suck!!
And now OMC is going to be run by a sociopathic sadist. What a wonderful word!

1 Like