Forum now restricted to members

We are temporarily restricting this forum to members of Prostasia Foundation, and to those who were registered users of the forum prior to November 5, 2021. You may use this thread to voice your feedback, which we will take into account in considering whether to make this policy permanent.

5 Likes

I like the idea of making the forum only accessible to members.

The November 5th stipulation I’m assuming is temporary.

1 Like

Does members refer to people who have donated to Prostasia or people employed by Prostasia (assuming the former since that’s how it’s used on your website)

2 Likes

This is a stressful event indeed, but I don’t think locking down the forum is necessary.

I think locking down the forum is possibly the WORST thing to do in this scenario.

The shoe0nhead drama is only going to get worse if we make actions which, in their mind, validate their prejudices and the patently false narrative they’ve created.

This decision needs to be undone.
@terminus

10 Likes

It’s already been decided by staff as a temporary measure while we are actively under attack. We don’t have time to deal with the added drama that this forum creates. However your feedback is being taken into account and the closure of the forum may be reversed once the drama has passed.

4 Likes

Does members refer to people who have donated to Prostasia or people employed by Prostasia (assuming the former since that’s how it’s used on your website)

Existing forum users do not need to become members of Prostasia Foundation. But as a gatekeeping measure, we are requiring new forum users to join and support us. If money is a barrier, we will listen and make exceptions.

4 Likes

Got it. I think it’s unfortunate but justified as a temporary measure, but in terms of feedback I would be against it in the long term. There will always be misinformed people who seek to interfere with prevention effort like Prostasia’s, but overall I think the benefit of allowing people who may be on the fence, looking for information about finding support, or just curious about learning more to ask questions outweighs the harm of having to deal with people who are going to find a way to yell about their uneducated beliefs regardless.

5 Likes

Will invite privs override this?

If so, that’ll need to be taken into account as well.

1 Like

Invites will still work.

I made my acct yesterday, but it wasn’t for attacking. I think I made the deadline. I guess I should go look at the shoeonhead video, see what the fuss is about. Happy posting :smile:

4 Likes

Exactly what she’s doing:

https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1456695626582962179?s=20

I agree that restricting access is not the right move, it just reinforces the negative beliefs and doesn’t allow people to see the truth for themselves. It looks especially bad given some of the accusations, trying to hide things is a terrible idea. I can understand restricting creation of accounts or posting.

If stuff from here gets posted somewhere else the response is a simple boilerplate “our forum is a discussion space and the ideas and beliefs expressed by members are not representative of Prostasia” or something like that.

The response should have been simple “we’ve addressed these accusations here [links]”, not “let’s try to hide and make a bunch of ad hominem attacks and appeals to popularity on Twitter” riling up her followers and only making them less likely to listen. Don’t react, that’s exactly what these people want you to do, they want you to desperately try and defend and rush to do damage control, they want to get in your way and you have to not let them.

9 Likes

The cynic in me believes that even if the forum was open, they don’t want to see the truth for themselves.

This shoeonhead girl strikes me as the kind of person who pours the gasoline, strikes the match, lights the fire, then just walks off.

2 Likes

The majority don’t, that’s for sure, they’ll just listen to whatever Shoe says. But closing it off removes the possibility from the minority who might want to do their own research.

100%

4 Likes

Blockquote

And then blames the property owners for having property where she was lighting a fire.

Literal gaslighting. :joy:

(I’m proud of my pun. Dad jokes are the highest form of humor. I will die on this hill.)

3 Likes

Or for being so flammable.

2 Likes

Ayo what happened with TiredCarrot and OMC?

He went beserker mode with some very sensitive topics, including but not limited to suicide baiting some of our members. No one needs that kind of behavior in these spaces.

1 Like

Proud donor here willing to sponsor one person for $5 a month :slight_smile: message me

2 Likes

Interesting. He’s telling a very different story on fedi.